We are looking for booksellers to join the small and friendly team at Backstory, an independent bookshop and bar in Balham.
The new team members will work on a part-time basis for eight hours every Sunday and regular Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening shifts. They will also provide extra cover for busy days and events.
Candidates must be able to work at our bookshop and bar in Balham and flexibly at events across London as required. All roles will involve working every Sunday and regular evening work. Please do not apply if you are looking for regular weekday shifts.
Bookselling, hospitality or other retail experience is preferable. A sense of humour is vital.
Team members must be extremely personable and warm with a genuine love of people as well as books. As we are a very small team, being a good team player, hard-working and willing to adapt to the changing needs of the business is essential, but tasks will include:
- Unpacking and checking in book deliveries
- Packing and despatching online orders
- Daily cleaning and vacuuming to maintain the shop's high standard of presentation
- Manning our bar: preparing and serving wine, beer, coffee, tea and other food and drink. Loading and unloading the dishwasher, and maintaining exemplary hygiene standards
- Serving customers, on your own and as part of a team
- Opening up and closing the shop
- Supporting events and off-site activities
- And, of course... swapping book recommendations with customers! Sharing your enthusiasm for old favourites and the latest titles.
Pay: £12 per hour. We will always pay at least the Real Living Wage for London.
Paid holidays: 20 days pro rata, plus public holidays
Deadline: Thursday 2nd February at 5pm. A shortlist of candidates will be invited to an interview soon thereafter.
To apply: Please complete this form.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We will pay no regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, nationality, disability nor age.